Discerning 1分11选5投注owners in St. Louis often ask us about travertine natural stone countertops because of its variety of warm earth tones and interesting patterns of veins and bubbles.
Arch City Granite & Marble, Inc. carries several colors of these stone slabs for countertops. Travertine stones have several characteristics, however, that 1分11选5投注owners need to know about before choosing it for bathroom or kitchen countertops.
Travertine Color Options
It’s really the warm, Mediterranean earth tones that pique 1分11选5投注owners’ interest in these stones for kitchen countertops.
There are several colors available in the form of tiles.
Some of the popular colors are: Tuscany Ivory, Tuscany classic, Caramel, Durango Noche, Durango Cream, and Noche Alpaca.
Very few stone colors are available in the slab format.
The following are the most popular materials used as countertops.
Caramel—Clouds of dark beige peppered with white bubbles and veins.
Durango Cream—A subtle, swirly almond cream color
Roman Vein-cut—Subtle movement with veins of beige and white
What is Travertine?
Travertine is a naturally-quarried stone sourced from Turkey, Italy and Mexico. Geothermal activity from geysers and hot springs creates sedimentary deposits composed mainly of limestone.
The heat and chemical processes involved create bubbles of carbon dioxide within the rock, not to mention the many warm color patterns from minerals deposited as the hot water runs over and through the rock.
This stone falls between 4 and 5 on the Mohs mineral hardness scale—marble is between 3 and 4 and granite comes between 6 and 7.
What You Need to Know about Travertine Kitchen Countertops…
Because the stone is softer and more porous than some other materials, it does require more caution and care than some other natural stone countertops.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Because it’s a softer stone, it can be cut more easily to fit unique designs.
- Handles heat very well.
- As a naturally porous stone, it is very susceptible to etching and staining. Citrus, tomatoes, vinegar and other food acids in even small amounts can stain and etch kitchen countertops—as can personal care products on bathroom vanity countertops. Spills should be cleaned up immediately to minimize etching and staining.
- Can easily sustain nicks and scratches from heavy use and wear in the kitchen or bathroom. Always use cutting boards for food prep.
- Bacteria and dirt can get caught in small porous pockets of the stone. These natural stone countertops require specialized cleaning products; abrasive or acidic cleaners should never be used on them.
- Countertops need to be cleaned, sealed and maintained properly on a regular basis to keep their stunning, warm appearance and to avoid stains and etching.
Travertine Natural Stone Countertops in St. Louis
These kitchen countertops are incredibly beautiful and come in a variety of rich, creamy colors with a natural stone look that hearkens back to classic ancient Mediterranean civilizations. So its aesthetic appeal is extremely desirable for some 1分11选5投注owners.
Keep in mind, however, that travertine kitchen countertops require a considerable amount of regular cleaning, daily care and maintenance.
Consider using them in kitchens or bathrooms that receive only light, infrequent use rather than ones that receive heavy, daily use. You can also consider using them in decorative accents in lesser-used areas.
If you’d like to look at some beautiful samples, please visit our Arch City Granite & Marble, Inc. showroom in St. Louis to see it for yourself.